Artist preparation considerations for Art Walk 2022
We are so excited that you have chosen to be a participating artist in our Elizabeth Gardens Art Walk 2022!
The following is meant to be a guide for artists, outlining the logistics and flow of the event and to support them in their participation.
As this is a free, community event that relies solely on artists as volunteers, artists are expected to be responsible for the following:
- Their own set up/take down
- Security of their art and other items
The Art Walk takes place in Elizabeth Gardens Burloak Waterfront Park between 10 am and 4 pm
Recommended set up time: 7:30am onward. Artists are expected to have their displays fully set up and stations ready BEFORE 10:00am.
Consider taking a walk through the park ahead of the scheduled date. As you walk through, take a look around and note the following:
- Location of parking lot closest to your assigned location
- Proximity of parking lots to path – locations should be near the park path
- Washroom locations – Near parking lot 1
- Strength of the wind
- Shady locations (take advantage of shade for station locations)
Tables from the St. Elizabeth’s Anglican Church
If you have indicated that you will need to borrow one or more tables for the Art Walk, please note the following:
- Table pick up will be scheduled for the evening before the Art Walk – Friday, August 26th at 7:00pm
St. Elizabeth’s Anglican Church – 5324 Bromley Rd, Burlington, ON L7L 3G4. Park at the back of the church and meet the volunteers to sign out your table.
- Table drop off is scheduled for August 27th, immediately after you have finished packing up. Table drop off will also be at the BACK of the church.
Artist Responsibilities with Volunteers
If you are hosting some volunteers at your booth or activity, please keep in mind the following:
- You are responsible for training your volunteers on how you want your station to be run. It may be useful to allow the volunteers to do the station activity while you lead right at the beginning of the day.
- Many of our volunteers are young folks looking to add to their resume or their mandatory 40 hours of experience. Please be encouraging and supportive by helping them stay on task, ensuring they take breaks and offering to sign their volunteer hours form at the end of their shift.
- It is advised that you contact and confirm your assigned volunteers prior to the event (and use text vs. email).
Please consider the following list as a guide if you are new to displaying work or new to the Art Walk.
- Art to Display
- Business Cards/postcards to promote yourself!
- Artist Name Sign (Poster or Banner)
- Art Station Sign
- Hand Sanitizer
- Phone Charging Block
- Zip Ties
- Food for the day (quick things to take nibbles from throughout the day)
- Tent (if you have one) AND weights
- Camping Chairs
- Display Grids (if you have them)
- Sweater (for morning breeze)
- Garbage bag (for trash)
Transporting your Art
Please take care to wrap and protect your art during transportation, unloading and moving it to your location.
Consider using a dolly, cart or wagon to help transport items from the unloading spot in the parking lot to your set up location.
Loading and Unloading
Parking lots are intended for loading and unloading ONLY. Once you have unloaded your car, please move it to the parking lot at Skyway Plaza unless you have mobility issues or other concerns. We need to keep parking as open as possible.
Artists are expected to :
- Unload your car
- Move your car
- Return to unloading zone to move items to booth location
Please take note of which zone you are in and therefore which parking lot to use for loading/unloading.
Some volunteers will be available to help watch over unloaded items while you move your car.
Your Station/Booth Location
- Look for your numbered flag to find your approximate booth location. If you have an activity station AND a tent, consider where you want each set up and ensure there is space between the two to avoid crowding.
- Feel free to place your booth/station in shaded areas in and around your tent location.
- Get to know your artist neighbours and let’s support each other during the event!
- Please be mindful that it can be windy near the lake. Keep this in mind as you secure your art to your table or tent.
- If you are using a tent, you will need to provide your own weights.
- Please be sure to pack plenty of water and food as the day may be hot and is indeed a busy one.
To ensure this event is successful right until the end, please abide by the following:
- Whatever you bring to the park (garbage), bring home with you (zero footprint)
- Be patient with and helpful to your fellow artists as we all pack up. Volunteers and organizers will help coordinate loading your vehicle.
- Don’t forget to return your table to the back of the church if you borrowed one.
Post-event follow up
We will be sending out a feedback survey to all participating artists shortly after the event. We will also invite all artists to a post-event meeting to debrief and celebrate.
Many of our artists have also been on the planning committee for 2022 and we couldn’t have improved in the ways we did without them. Please consider joining the planning committee for 2023!